Sunday 16 December 2007

Variety Is The Key To Good Anchor Text

Continuing my look at how one site with a handful of links beats 489,000 other pages to reach the top of Google. Is it a matter of the anchor text is important, or is it more a case of the site that the link is on is important?

Most SEO experts will tell you how the link page should look. The page should be categorised and relevant to the site they are linking to. It should not contain off topic links. I even had one expert email me telling me to change my links page! My software not only put the link onto the chosen page, but also ran a featured list on the main links page. She wasn't happy being on that page with non-relevant links.

She should have been happy that for her one link I gave her 2 back. But she worried that other links were irrellevant. When I studied the few links that Google reports for the top performing site, I expected to see related sites. One or two were related, but the vast majority have nothing at all to do with the subject.

So if it's not relevance and the pages weren't high performing page ranked pages, then I can only assume that the on site SEO was great and the few links were powerful.

So now my own link building strategy is heading towards not hundreds of links using the same keyword text, but a few good links using different text. I can try!

No comments: