Friday 16 November 2007

And Now I Really Am Confused!

I recently published MishkaOnline - a fashion website. This site uses CSS / javascript drop down menus throughout the site, so a week or two after publishing the site I wanted to check whether Google had successfully cached all of the pages that were listed through the drop down menus.

For those that haven't experienced the joys of coding CSS drop down menus (and my first 2 websites using these arrived on the same day!), basically you code the menu structure and then hide the rows using CSS. Not exactly what CSS was meant for, but it is a neat way and I'm assured fairly accessible.

In theory, Google should ignore the CSS that hide the menu structure and then just see all of the links. So I looked at Google to see what pages were cached. Apart from noticing that my descriptions were not as well written as they should be (now changed!!!) I was surprised at what pages were cached. For a start, the site map page, which I'd not linked into from any other pages, appeared. This site has already undergone "a bit" of a revamp, so possibly I had it linked in on the first version and removed later.

Apart from there not being many of the pages cached yet (I suppose it is only 2 weeks old) Google has started caching pages for the second time. This is apparent because of the restyling! But I suppose maybe Google has just started it's 2nd trawl and is only just taking in the pages a couple of clicks off the home page.

No comments: