Tuesday 13 November 2007

Google's Page Rank

More about my confusion with Google's Page Rank.

Looking at the links in the paragraphs at the bottom of the mortgage site one paragraph has a lot of popular keyword phrases. These pages are grey barred. The other paragraph doesn't intentionally have a lot of popular keyword phrases, but some probably are well searched on. Those that could be well searched on are grey barred, the rest are Google Page Rank 1.

Seems to be a big coincidence? I looked at a couple of other sites or my own that are also struggling and were once quite good. Both have been Google Page Rank 4 until recently. There's my Mobile Phone Site and the Holiday Cottages Site. Until recently both had good home page Page Ranks, but the 2nd level pages weren't page ranked. Both use (legitimately) keywords / keyword phrases in the anchor links.

So I surmise that maybe rather than it being the length of the paragraph that the link is in maybe Google is starting to ignore links that use strong keywords in the anchor text. Not necessarily always, but probably in coalition with other factors. For example, maybe if one or two links on the page use high density keywords but then there are a few more that don't then you are OK. Looks like my sites are triggering the factors and I'm suffering!

No comments: