Thursday 8 November 2007

The New Link Building

So just what was this guy doing in yesterday's post that the millionaires and big sites had missed out on? How can a shoe string budget site so well trample sites with thousands, even tens of thousands in marketing budgets? What can we learn for our own sites, like my Compare Mortgage Rates site?

The answer was remarkably simple. I looked through the first couple of pages of links to his site as reported by Google to see what he was doing. I figured that if Google lists these links first, they are the most important links. What I noticed was that there were loads of links to his site from 2 main sources. Neither of them link exchanges:

1) From internet forums. He was posting in discussions, sometimes related sometimes not and in his signature linked directly to his home page.

2) There were lots of blogs (just like this one) pointing to him.

The forums seems easy to do - sign up, make sufficient posts and survive the trial period then continue to post and include your URL in the signature. Start with one or two, as you get the hang of it join more.

The blogs aren't so easy. There were too many for them all to be his doing so what I suspect he's doing there is paying people to mention and link to his site in their posts. As look would have it, I'd already started to investigate this before I saw his links, so I recognised what he was doing.

I've started investigating one such scheme, I'll let you know more tomorrow.

No comments: