Wednesday 21 November 2007

Google Following Image Links

I mentioned a few days ago that a new site had been fully spidered quite quickly even though all links were anchored with images.

I also mentioned this in yesterday's post and said 'with no apparent search engine benefit'.

Well from what I have just been reading, it seems that maybe I'm wrong. There's a theory about that I've only just heard of (maybe I'm way behind the times here) about image alt texts.

It says that on the whole, Google now ignores alt text for images. The once powerful and almost guaranteed method for good search engine placement is now totally ignored (demonstrating evolution of search engines – why could they now now ignore anchor texts???). It's not quite that simple, but that's basically it.

With apparently one exception. If the image is being used as an anchor for a link then the alt text is read and used. It could even be that the link is only followed if there is some alt text in the link – it's being used the same way as anchor text used to be there.

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points and record what I've been reading!

No comments: