Tuesday 29 January 2008

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

And never is this more true than in Web Design!

How many times have I produced what I thought is a beautiful site. I then show it to the customer and they ask for their tweaks and changes and by the time it's finished they are delighted, but I'm left wondering if I should admit to the site in my portfolio.

Sites have been known to go through extreme colour changes. One started off as nice pastel shades, with gentle sweeping graphics. By the end of the build it had doubled the curves and gone to mustard colours. The customer was absolutely delighted!

Then you get the customers that ask that you take inspiration from certain sites and what is produced you see as a combination of these examples. But when the customer gets back they have seen something totally different in the sites and can't understand why you have given them the sample you have done.

Even time can make a site look different. Frequently, I think that looking too hard at a site to decide if you like it makes you dislike it. But also websites do age. When I first put in my mortgage site I really liked it. Now, I think it could do with a lot of work.

When we look at a website, we don't all look at it in the same way. And that makes pleasing people very difficult!

No comments: