Saturday 12 January 2008

Page Rank Update

I'll break off for a day or so to look at what has happened last night with a Google Page Rank update. On the whole, apart from new sites I can only find sites that have stayed as was or dropped 1 PR. Is there a theme?

A PR5 site has dropped to PR4. Shame! Interesting to note that the add resources page is now grey barred (from PR3???) and some content pages have gone from PR4 to grey barred. These were a bit off theme - her site is about accommodation in Oxford, but she also shows adds for accommodation in Italy & South Africa. Now whether Google is that clever, I don't know. But I suspect a couple of internal pages dropping PR could be enough to bring the home page Page Rank down by 1.

Lots of new sites now have Page Rank Zero, which is progress. I put in a load of changes to my own Janric website, hoping the new pages were there in time for the update, but it seems to have taken place quicker than I expected. 2 previously grey barred pages are back to Page Rank 3 but the portfolio page is now grey barred. Possibly because the portfolio is quite big and links to 57 sites from the one page? Maybe it's time to split that down a little.

Another web design site I work for has only 29 sites in the portfolio. It's a newer site and that page rank has gone from grey barred to 2, giving weight to too many links.

Sadly, after all my efforts recently for my mortgage rates site there's been no change there and it's still hovering between pages 5 and 7 of the results.

On a positive note, remember the first Seo Experiment? Well, one of the sites in that has gone to page rank 3 - the other 2 are grey barred. It's the one WITHOUT the target=_blank in the links that's made this change. Maybe there is something in that experiment after all?

No comments: