Monday 7 January 2008

.co.uk or .com Part 2 - Building Your Own Website

Following on from yesterday there are a few more considerations when deciding whether .co.uk or .com is best.

Many people are link building (we'll come to that later) and searching for links. If they are aiming at getting links from the same country, then .co.uk is a good indicator and an advantage.

The same happens when looking for a site when you want to contact the company. I'll sometimes scan down the list of results for a .co.uk name knowing that many of the other companies are likely to be American so not able to help me.

And what convinces me for my own sites is quite often the cost. It costs me more to register a site name using .com than it does using .co.uk – and the .co.uk name, whilst cheaper, lasts for 2 years instead of just 1. Granted with a .com you can register it for up to 10 years, but you are still paying more per year than for 2 years with a .uk name. Now this might only be a small amount. Say £6.36 for 2 years .co.uk and £9.38 per year for .com. Over 2 years, this is over £17 saved. With over 100 .uk domains in my account that's over £1750 saved in 2 years. Almost £900 per year in my pocket. That's worth registering .co.uk for. As as my Website Portfolio increases, that saving is getting dramatically bigger.

No comments: