Tuesday 19 February 2008

Why Am I Not Top Of Google?

After "My Nephew can do it for £50", the next one must be "I'm not appearing on the first page of Google for video services Liverpool" etc.

With the customer in question (it happens all the time, I'm just picking on the most recent...) they had only had the site live for a week, so appearing first (which they were doing) for one of their terms was an achievement.

So why not "video services Livepool". Well, all my customers that come directly to me I ask what their ideas are for searches and will work the site around them. In this case, the customer hadn't come directly. But they had provided text to load up, and there wasn't room to change it. And although I have produced a really beautiful site for them - loads of stock photos - the text does not once mention the word 'Liverpool'. There was never any inclination that they wanted to be found for searches involving 'Liverpool' and therefore, it's very unlikely to happen.

What's the answer - be flexible with your text and tell us from the outset what searches you want to be found on. If you want to be found in a wider area than your local area, tell us, but allow your web designer to play with the text a little to sort this out.

No comments: