Thursday 28 February 2008

The Site Is Rubbish!

One of the easiest ways to upset us must be to tell us you don't like our work - right?

Wrong!

Every piece of work is aimed at the customer and the customer's customers. Drafts are sometimes built to test what the customer likes and more importantly dislikes. So telling us our work isn't to your taste doesn't hurt, but telling us it's cheap, your nephew could have done better for £50 etc can hurt. But here's what actually hurts.

Customer - "I don't like the site."

Webdesigner - "Why, is there anything you do like, what don't you like about it."

Customer - "I just don't like the site."

Webdesigner - "Is it the colours, the graphics, the fonts, the text size, the layout."

Customer - "I just don't like the site."

Webdesigner - "Do you like the pictures I've used?"

Customer - "I just don't like the site."

You get the idea. It's fine that you don't like it. To be honest, I've built sites that I don't like, but the customer absolutely loves. They've started off as sites I like, but ended up as sites I don't want on the portfolio - they are embarassing! Was tempted to link to one, but I won't!

But at least these customers have taken the draft and told us how they wanted it changed to get it to a site they like. If you just say 'I don't like it.', then we have no idea where to go from there.

If you don't like the draft, that's not a problem. If you didn't like an architect's draft, would you just say 'I don't like it' or would you tell him you want an extra bathroom; you want the ensuite with a window etc? Tell us what you are thinking. Tell us what you like and we'll all be happier!

No comments: