Saturday 2 February 2008

Monthly Submitting To Search Engines

I was with a new customer yesterday, who's site is about to go live. He's had bad experiences with 3 web designers before me, who have basically taken him for a ride whilst costing a lot of money and leaving him nothing. He'd all but given up on web designers when he contacted me, that bad was his experience. In fact, had I asked for a deposit he would have walked away, but I've never done that!

But he was asking me questions based on what the other guys have talked to him about and he asked me how did I submit sites to search engines each month. Each month??? I never submit a site to a search engine even once. My record from registering a URL to it being found by genuine new customers is about 4 days - it was registered & published Monday afternoon and when I checked the server logs the next day, Google had visited. I checked Google on Thursday and it was listed and over the weekend the customer emailed me to say how many people had contacted her after finding the site.

Yet I have never once submitted that site to any search engine. The new customer also said yesterday that he'd been told it would be at least 6 months before the site was listed on Google. I wondered what sort of people he had been dealing with - they have charged him more than I am going to, and I've produced the sites for him...

If your web designer can't get sites listed in Google in a couple of weeks and says it will take 6 months to get a site listed, then they don't know their business.

No comments: