Tuesday 15 April 2008

Paid For Search Engine Experts

At some point as an owner of a website you will receive spam (although the sender will deny it's that) saying they have performed free SEO services on your website and identified that you don't have enough links. I had one just today for my web design site (which is purely a contact point - I don't have enough time to advertise as well!).

This looks liks a good offer and a long term investment. You hope the contact will optimise your site, get you to the top spot in Google and other search engines and you will reap the benefit for eternity.

I ask myself - if they are so good at Search Engine Optimisation, why are they sending me spam? I know from my own sites (e.g. CompareMortgageRates.co.uk) that if you get a decent site to the top of Google then you can get a good income. If they are such experts then why have they not just written a couple of sites like that and sit watching their income roll in? Are you telling me they would honestly prefer to sned out spam emails???

The answer is that what they are saying is basically the truth, but there's no guarantees of success and definitely no guarantee that once the site is 'optimised' that it will stay there. I've just moved a site from nowhere to page 1 of Google for logo golf balls, but I'm not guaranteeing it will be there next week.

For most people the tricks and techniques these guys are using are basic and if you can edit your own website you can certainly try them. Even if you can't edit your site, then you can use the lessons some of my own customers have used to try your own search engine optimisation.

A new customer recently told me that for his previous site he's responded to a spam email and was paying £60 per month to SEO experts. They promised him a first page listing on Google. They had never achieved this. Their guarantee just basically said that if it wasn't achieved, they would keep trying. That's £60 per month wasted on nothing.

If you really can't afford the time to try your own SEO then maybe look at these spam emails, but be very careful!

No comments: