Thursday 24 April 2008

Sometimes, I wonder...

Sometimes I wonder just exactly who my sales guy is selling to. Far too often the site grinds to a halt about the time it goes live - we're forever having 'discussions' about whether he's chcasing people enough for payments. And he's constantly on the road chaisng clients.

I tell him he's spending too long with clients, especially given our charges. He says it's the 'personal' touch, but when that involves a dozen 60 - 80 mile round trips to a customer for a £500 site, then the petrol costs are quickly eating away at our profits! Why he can't email or phone some of the time, I still can't fathom.

His reason is that it can take a few visits to persuade people as the the benefits of a site. I always wonder how ethical his sales techniques are - what he's offering, what they think they are getting. But an email I've just read takes the biscuit - not only is he offering that we build the website, but he's also going to the wholesalers to advise what to buy as the guy has no knowledge of the game!

I do worry that he's offering an opinion that websites bring easy cash for their owners. Time will tell.

No comments: