Thursday 10 April 2008

Paid Directories

This is one that you have to be very careful about. Again, for comparemortgagerates.co.uk I tried this out and ended up £1,600 out of pocket. Too keen, too soon. I've learnt my lessons. A business partner has also tried it for clickrentstay.com with similar poor results.

Basically, people with existing websites and lots of traffic offer to sell advertising space on their websites to other website owners. In the case of comparemortgagerates.co.uk I did get loads of traffic - I could see that by my server logs. But most of it was just looking for tools to display mortgage tables, which they found. According to the (well known) directory, other people were having loads of success with the calculators etc. They were getting the traffic and turning it into enquiries. When I looked at these other sites, they didn't actually have the tools so to get the answers the customers needed to fill in the contact forms. I suppose I was giving too much information (recently removed).

The moral of this story is that getting listed on other people's sites can bring you loads of traffic. Just make sure that the listing is good and that you give the customer enough, but not too much. In my case most people probably found the best deals and went directly to the banks - this is the reason that the provider has removed the tools (so he says...). Who am I to argue?

No comments: