Monday 21 April 2008

SEO - A word of warning

Whereas it is possible to get a site to the top, or near to the top of search engine listings, a business should never depend on that for its income. It's fine if it's an affiliate site like my mortgages website where it's an added bonus what I earn there, but I have a friend that I work with who depended a lot on his site being on the first page of Google for several major terms.

I know myself what a fall from grace feels like with a website, and although in the time since I've managed to get other sites ranking well, I've just been too busy to really work on that site and get it back.

So why can't you depend on search engines? Well, for a start, they are out of our control and are always trying to get better results. With tricks like improved duplicate content filters, it's getting harder for affiliates to rank near the top. That's just one area that suffers. But if your site is relying heavily on link exchanges and suddenly Google decides to ignore all 2-way links, what's going to happen to your site - it could take months to get it ranking well again, if ever.

If SEO is your business' lifeline then think again. Experiment with some of the other website marketing techniques to see what else works. It only needs your site to be down briefly when Googlebot comes to visit it and you could be dropped completely from the rankings.

No comments: