Sunday 23 March 2008

And Then They Were Gone

I noticed that the mortgage charts on my mortgage site weren't showing properly. I thought maybe after a day or so they would be fixed by the provider, then a week or two later they were still faulty.

These are provided by a third party provider, who passes all leads they generate onto a mortgage broker who then pays me for any successful applications, although he never seems to generate much revenue for me.

So I contacted the guy to ask him what was going on. 'Oh, it's probably because we don't use them any more.' I replied to him, asking him how leads should be sent 'Just email me'.

This is very useful. For at least a few weeks the forms had been down, although I didn't know it. And in that time he's been asking me how's my website traffic and any chance of generating more leads for him.

The main reason I used him was for his mortgage charts. I can't create them myself, so now I've got loads of pages on that website to remove the forms and put something else up - no idea what yet. A quick fix first, I think.

But in the absence of these charts, all of the static pages referring to them are going to have to change as well. I can't proudly boast that the site displays 'every UK mortgage', when in actual fact the removal of the charts means that none are displayed. Maybe, as I've thought for a while, it's time to move that side of the business on to the travel industry instead.

No comments: