Tuesday 25 March 2008

Marketing your site

Right, I've harped on enough about how you should not just get a website and expect it to have visitors, instead you need to market it. But what can you do to market a site?

Well there are loads of things! Maybe a quick list here and then in future days I'll return to look at each one in more detail. But I've had customers using forums, magazines, word of mouth, shop adverts, suppliers and more to get visitors to their site.

On top of these, for myself, for likes of CompareMortgageRates and Cottage-Holidays I've used fliers, link building, articles, directory submission, email signatures, PPC, Pop Unders, Expired Domain traffic, paid directories, adverts on other sites, word of mouth, affiliates and probably a whole host of other ideas that I'll remember as time goes by.

So, which of these are best? Well usually the cheaper the are the better - but not necessarily always. One might be a lot cheaper than another, or even free, but if it doesn't bring in traffic, then it's of no use.

If I was starting to market a site now, which would I use? Probably a good mixture. It would depend on how quickly I want to grab visitors and earn an income from the site. A lot also depends on the nich of the site. It's no good having a brilliant new widget and depending on PPC or search engine visitors to supply the sales - if it's a new idea, people won't be looking for it.

Conversely, if everyone is already selling a similar service then it might be hard to get positioned in search results and PPC because of tight competition. And just because something didn't work when you tried it 6 months ago doesn't mean it won't work today.

Have a look through the list, remind me of what I've missed and let me know which ideas, old or new, are working for you.

No comments: