Saturday 15 March 2008

I need stock control, for Monday

This one has really annoyed me - big time. The customer has asked about it a few times, but I've pointed out the problems of having to control online and offline stock.

On Thursday, he decided to buy separate stock and that it would be nice for a full stock control system to be implemented, including switching off sizes for items (not even done by item, done by size) that run out of stock.

I was told 5pm on Thursday and said it would take a couple of days to write and test the system and all of the reports. 'But I need it live for Monday' was the reply. That's not he needs the system live for Monday, 08:00, but he needs his stock figures uploaded for then. No way I told him, but we can get the rest of the changes in. Don't forget, he's not the only customer with important changes.

So 8:15 Friday evening I get a half hour winge off my sales guy trying to force my arm to work every hour of the weekend to get it done. Eventually I thought of an easier way to integrate it into his system and was up until 2am getting the start of the code in.

You can imagine my surprise when 20 minutes ago, not 6 hours after I gave up and went to bed, the sales guy is winging that the system isn't good enough. A rather strongly worded email went back to him telling him maybe his comments should wait until I've shown him the changes (no idea what he's looking at - he doesn't know where the changes are) and that any more emails with that tone and the changes don't go live!

Maybe it's time for a new sales person. His attitude is really getting to me.

No comments: