Wednesday 12 March 2008

But Why Can't You Build The Site Now?

Some customers are very surprised that I can't build their sites instantly. They expect that once they have said they want a site, that it will be done. Some don't even give me any clues as to the content!

Gone are the days when I could nearly always turn a site around the day that I got the work. OK, if it's a small site for an easy going customer and I'm in the right mood then yes, but on the whole now you have to wait a week to get a draft back, wait another week to get that finalised and then a week or two to get more out of me.

Am I slow? No, just I'm very busy. I'm no longer sitting here waiting for the next piece of work - I've got it coming out of my ears and I pick and choose which one to get on with next.

Many people know decorators, plumbers etc who can't be booked in for at least a couple of weeks. In the case of one local decorator it's about 8 months. This adds to his reputation - he's that good you need to book him 8 months in advance.

Well, it's the same with webdesign. When you get popular, you have a backlog of work and it's hard to keep on top of it. See it as a sign of a good investment.

No comments: