Friday 14 March 2008

Make It Bigger!

"Make it bigger - make it twice as big" was the request. "I've counted and I need it at least 1,000 characters long."

The customer was talking about the description field in his content management system for his shop. After a few months, he'd finally "been very busy" starting loading products and the fields weren't big enough.

Now, apart from the fact that this is the sort of change that should happen in early testing, when I looked at the database I noticed that he had a massive 2 products loaded to his shop. Not even one per category! Then I noticed the field in question was actually 2,000 characters long anyway.

So not only was the system already coping, he wasn't even using it. He'd just decided to ask for more space "in case", I suppose. Which made be more work. Thanks for that.

No comments: