Monday 31 March 2008

Is The Adsense Content Network Value For Money

Yesterday I tried to alleviate concerns people have about click fraud in the Google Adsense Content Network, but is it worth while using it, or are you just filling website owners' pockets?

Well, you only need to read the Adwords blog to know that many website owners are less than happy with their earnings. Not everyone - but there are many comments about struggling to earn anything and the low earnings per click. So advertisers can't be filling pockets!

But does it do much good? I've advertised Compare Mortgage Rates on the content network when it's being pushed this way, and both Spanish Catfishing and Ebro Catfishing are curently advertised on the content network.

Not that I've not had problems. I did see that ClickRentStay had received hits from an advert placed on it's own home page - Google had placed our own advert in the Adsense blocks, and someone had clicked on it!

I do think that this story shows that the quality of clicks from the content network isn't quite as good as that from the search network. People clicking on adverts might be more prone to just general browsing of sites. But this can be offset by reducing the bid price on the content network.

But there are times when the content network excels. Say I've invented a new car widget. It costs £3 and saves £20 per month in petrol. How do I advertise it?

No-one is searching for Keith's Widget - they don't know it exists. But if I created an advert and maybe chose which car websites to display it on, I'd be getting the advert seen by millions of people.

As always, with a bit of caution I think that the content network can be a great tool. It just depends on what you are selling and how much you are prepared to pay. Keep an eye on your campaign and watch what happens.

No comments: