Tuesday 11 March 2008

This Google Thing Doesn't Work...

This one isn't so much an upset, more it sends waves of panic and fear through me.

It's happened many times. I set up the customer's website and to help them get a bit more income from their information site, I suggest we put on Google adsense. When they understand that they don't need to pay for this service, they agree.

The site is implemented, the adds are running nicely, then the email comes back from the customer:

"This Google thing you've put on my site doesn't work."

What do you mean, I ask. "Well, I've been clicking on my adds all day, but Google is showing me as not earning anything..."

It sends shudders down my spine. Their account might be about to be blocked and in the days of referals, it could be associated with mine. Would that count against me??? I always emphasise not to click on own adds on the few occasions I've installed Google Adsense, but some customers just don't get the message.

Please, don't click on the adverts. Google uses cookies and IP address checks and other mathematical checks to make sure you aren't doing it. A couple will lead to unpaid clicks. Too many and you account will be suspended.

No comments: