Thursday 13 March 2008

Paid Directory Submission

Reviewing a recent blog entry, I noticed a Google advert on the site claiming to help increase search engine ranking within 5 minutes. Skeptical, but interested in what they had to say (I'm still struggling to get CompareMortgageRates back to PR5) I decided to take a look at their site.

Now, before anyone shouts, I didn't click the Google advert! Right click the advert and show code allows you to see the full destination URL - so no need to worry that I've been clicking on my own adverts - even if it was one that was of genuine interest.

I went onto the site and for a "fantastic offer" of "only $29" (previously $39), they offered to submit my site to 100 PR4 directories. "Guaranteed to raise your link popularity in days".

Yes, OK. Do such directories still really help?

I happened to notice they were showing testimonials from a couple of sites - along with the site names. "I noticed the difference within 3 days" said one. So I searched Google for his links - 4 came back in total. Tried the same on the other site that was a testimonial and none came back. Looks like these 100 sites aren't actually that good.

Somehow, I think that as far as Google is concerned, that's $29 you might just have flushed down the drain.

No comments: