Saturday 10 May 2008

Benchmarking The Redesign

How will I know if the redesign of the website is actually of benefit? What would be a benefit - what makes it worth my time redesigning a site that has basically flopped after a once proud time?

In short - income! This is derived from 2 factors - search engine visitors arriving on the site who then either book or click Google adverts.

Now, I've already said that the success of the site varies month on month. January / February are usually the best times of the year for the site. So what's a good way to benchmark the site?

I could look at the current position and compare that, but I wouldn't know if changes, or more to the point the percentage of changes, are being derived from my work.

So the best way forward is to just update one of the 2 sites - the least well performing one, wait for the search engines to pick up on the changes and hope that I see massive swings.

Last month, the second site got just 4,942 page impressions and the first one a mere 992 page impressions. I used to get that per day! The income per site was $170 & $31 from Adsense (I can't mention click through rates / cost per click - Google policies). And between them, they managed 2 failed bookings and 5 confirmed bookings, valued at £90.48 commission for me. So around £200 income in the month. Not fantastic, but it's something.

So that's where we start from. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll start to see the ratio of traffic change from it's current 5:1 to (maybe) the other way around and the incomes improve accordingly.

Tomorrow, what I am doing to achieve this.

No comments: