Sunday 11 May 2008

What does the redesign include?

Well, for a start the redesigned site is still under development so it's hidden away. So I can't show you it (could get confusing if search engines got hold of a development version!). But here's the features I'm including and why. Then, unless I make excellent progress and get the new pages ready to go live, I'll leave this theme for a bit and look at what I was on before I distracted myself!

First, I'm going from building it on my pc to loading to a database - this means the process is quicker and can conceivably be achieved in around 10 minutes' work - to be proven when I write it!

Second, I'll now be able to identify new properties and highlight them on the home page and other main pages - getting cottages listed quicker.

Third, I'm building (this is going to be a long ongoing process) a database of UK tourist attractions. Each property & town will link to the nearest ones I find. This adds unique content, and people might find the site searching for these attractions.

Next, when the owner has mentioned a tourist attraction in their text that I have a page for, I'll change the description to link to it. Makes the internal linking fuller.

Next, when the owner mentions a town in a description, I'll link to that. Makes the internal linking fuller.

Also, I'll display the nearest properties to the one shown, just in case it's not suitable - it also helps add more content to the page.

Possibly I'll also take a feed of hotels I have access to and include nearest hotels on the page - again, more content and possibly more commissions.

I'm also adding a Google map showing the property - adding more value to the customer. But the map doesn't seem to want to work at present... Works fine, until I try to include it in the code...

I'm also monitoring which pages are hit and linking to them as the most popular etc from the home page - helping customers find the most popular properties; telling me which are the most popular properties and getting the search engines faster links to these properties.

I'm sure there's more, but that gives a flavour of what the redesign is all about.

No comments: