Thursday 8 May 2008

Why Redesign A Website?

So I explained yesterday that I have 2 cottages websites, built slightly differently from the same affiliate data feed. The original was getting far more traffic than the second, because of the keywords (presumably) that each targeted. So what happened?

At first, I expected 700 page impressions to one confirmed booking! Yikes, that's a lot, but that's based on the first year or so. Some months are better, some worse. So why is this?

Well, for a start it's difficult to track what's happening as the affiliate scheme doesn't provide tracking so I don't know which of the 2 sites gets each booking. Both are different styles, so one style could work well, the other could be failing. And the success changes throughout the year - as availability changes.

Now a lot of these people will be looking and then realising they are seeing cottages they have looked at elsewhere (other affiliates) or they could be looking and checking availability and finding the accommodation booked. It is frustrating that although holiday makers are wanting to book from the end of the year, the availability doesn't tend to go onto the database until the start of the year. So there's lots of lost enquiries there.

There's also the worry that with that low conversion rate people are seeing the site and thinking 'yuk' - quite possible in the original site, but the second looks much better. And I suppose that there is also the confidence factor - do you really trust the site enough to book?

But the main reason I am redesigning my site is that the traffic has fallen off dramatically recently. I'm certain I know why - more tomorrow...

No comments: