Thursday 29 May 2008

Cottages rebuild almost ready...

The first phase of the holiday cottages website rebuild is all but completed. It's still short of several aspects, but most aren't needed for a go live. Yes, it's been a long time coming, but over the last week or so I've not had the time to move it along...

The main missing features at the moment, and the only ones that need sorting before I put the new version live, are Google Adsense adverts and the Google Map feature.

Google Adsense is easy to sort - I just need to swap machines and then plug them in. The maps are proving a little bit harder. In theory it's easy, in actual fact it's a tad difficult. The code is workign stand-alone, but as soon as I try to include it into the page it's full of errors. And again, this machine doesn't show them. It looks like the phase 1 release of this site will need to blank out the Google Maps - shame!

Building the site wasn't quite as much of a pain as I expected, especially the creation of all of the pages. I thought that creating around 3,500 pages might need to be split into many scripts, but it's done in just the single step.

The plan is that over the morning I'll get the Google Adsense in, probably blank out the map section, and then rerun everything to put the new site live and let Google et al get trawling the new pages.

Then I can start adding the tourist information and hotel information onto the pages - anything to really make the site have plenty of unique content. I'll keep posting as it develops.

No comments: