Saturday 31 May 2008

Think of what you are saying...

A customer this week sent me a rather hotly worded email telling me that if I wasn't up to the task why couldn't I tell him and why had it taken me so long to get the website back to him. My reply, in rather a few more words, was to remind him that 4 weeks ago I'd sent him the links to the live site and asked him to review it and that after my emailing him several times, he said he was too busy with his garden to review the site.

Why then am I getting the blame for the delays - when I've been waiting 4 weeks for a reply? He also said he didn't like the look of the site, which is based exactly on the slides his graphic designer sent to us. Looks like this could be a fun site to finish off over the coming weeks... A possible redesign and goodness knows what else, at least this job is not on a fixed price.

Whereas another job that has taken most of my time this week is a fixed price contract and my sales guy is letting it run away. This customer is desperate to go live the middle of next week, let I'm still waiting for the latest changes to the items page, which need to be completed before he'll sign the pages off and I can actually build the site. Even if I get the latest changes lsit on Monday and can get the changes done the same day, it's not leaving me much time to build the database interface, especially when I have other customers wanting work from me.

But that's life - and the sooner we reign in these daft customers the better - the more new sites we can go live with.

No comments: