Friday 30 May 2008

The redesign is live...

Well the Cottage Holidays website redesign has gone live overnight and bar a few teething problems, the site is up and running. I managed to sort the Google Maps problem before publishing the site so the cottages do show a location map - now I just have to see if I can include the maps into the tourist information pages...

It didn't do quite as straight forward as it looked to be. During final testing I noticed that only 500 of the holiday cottages had been loaded, out of the 1700+. Plus there were also a selection of French properties, that didn't have anywhere to go and crashed the load.

Once the full selection of 1700 went on it was a lot more difficult to load, but I did get it there and now the latest database is loaded. I'll be loading the database again over the next few days to pick out the new cottages as each region's home page and the site's home page do list new additions to the site. At the moment they are just showing random cottages loaded today - not what I wanted to show!

The only glitch that I've noticed so far is that in a couple of places the region is not decoded in the display of the cottage name. Not difficult to change, just a lot of places to change it in.

Hopefully I'll manage to get the search engines interested in the site and over the next few weeks and months will be reporting increased traffic. Can't be much worse than the current month has been! Once we hit the end of the month I'll post the results as another benchmark of where the site is at the moment and in a few months I'll be able to look back at both sites and sets of data to see if the redesign has brought in more traffic.

No comments: