Saturday 5 July 2008

I don't always like my sites...

I wish I could say that 100% of the sites that I've produced I'm proud of. OK, the early sites were nothing compared to what I do now, but even if I could say that 100% of the sites in the last 12 months I'm proud of would be a good thing.

Problem is, I'm not. There are 2 or 3 that I'd rather hide and not have my name against than put on my portfolio. There's probably a handful more also from the last 12 months that aren't what I would consider my best work.

Why do I do that? Why give customers what I'm not proud of - in fact sites that embarass me?

Quite simply - they have been so involved in the design process that I've not been able to steer them around to what I think looks good. They have passed me sample sites that look cheap and colour schemes that just don't work together. Take the site that has a different colour scheme on every page - it's disgusting. But the customer insisted on it - in fact she has a CMS to enable her to change the individual page colours and that's what she has set them to. The present colours are nothing to do with me.

Why's this on my mind? Well 2 new pieces of work this week have both brought this home. The first provided links to two websites they really love. One of these, their favourite, looks like a child has produced it! Over use of mis-matching colours. Too many fancy tricks here and there and the rating of the site shows it.

For the second the customer has approved the sample, saying that he "loves it". My comments, after passing the sample to his account manager, was that it was produced to spec but I didn't think the colours were quite there. It's almost good, just not enough colours and the wrong shades where they are there - there's a lot of pale blue everywhere and little contrast.

But, in all my work the customer is always right. Just so long as 3 months down the line they don't return asking why they have a horrible looking site!

No comments: