Tuesday 8 July 2008

Listed again in Google

Not sure what was going on when I noticed that my home page had vanished from Google, but the CompareMortgageRates home page is back on the 6th page of the search results. Now I've got to work at moving it up!

I was looking at the site and I noticed that all links to the home page state the website address, not index.html. This could be very useful - it should mean that changing the page to a PHP page isn't as painful. At the very least, I don't need to change every page. At best, Google will still page rank it the same...

Why do I want to change it from HTML to PHP? Quite simple - I've introduced a news feature, a bit like a blog. Ideally, I'd like to include the latest news snippets onto the site's home page, but I can't do that in HTML, without having to manually update the home pagee each time. And I'll never manage that! Unfortunately, my hosts don't allow me to change the htaccess file to treat HTML as PHP.

What I intend to do, with time, is to just display the first paragraph of each recent news item on the home page, leading to the page with the full news item on it. This not only helps to build up a large network of pages but also helps to keep the home page fresh and constantly updated. What else must I do to regain my page 1 listing of last summer!

No comments: