Tuesday 15 July 2008

If you don't market, it won't sell

It's always a shame when an existing customer closes a website because it's not working - even more so when the reason for its failure is lack of marketing. And ironic when the owner is actually working for the IT side of the marketing department for a large company!

It happens all of the time. People see the internet as some 'get rich quick' solution. Think of an idea, get a site built, cash the cheques. If only it were that simple!

I won't detail the full idea here, but it was based around affiliate selling and I've seen other (successful) sites working on the same principals. The shame is, but for a small adsense budget, building to some flyers left at relevant events and then magazine adverts when the site is really flying, the site should have worked well.

It's one of those ideas that I'd wished I'd had a couple of years back - when work was quiet and I had time to invest in building, and marketing, my own ideas. Now I'm just too busy building sites for customers!

Give it 6 months and get some of my other little personal website projects pushed on a little, and there may be time for me to tackle something similar - with a clear conscience that the customer is no longer trying to do the same and I'm not stealing her idea.

No comments: