Sunday 7 October 2007

Watching Your Traffic

How closely do you watch the traffic entering your site? I'm sure you have a good idea of how many visitors usually hit your site and the number of orders / sales / commissions, but do you watch for trends on your website? Do you take a look to see what keywords are working for you, what pages visitors are being sent to and if they are getting the information they want on those exact pages?

I admit, I don't do that carefully enough on my main sites. And it's only when the income drops for a few days that I look. By then,it's too late to see what's been working.

Yesterday I was looking at one site and noticed that a misspelling of AllianceandLeicester.co.uk generated a lot of traffic. So I took a look at that page and was surprised that it was a PR1, yet was only linked to from 1 other page on the site, which is a PR0.

Over the next few days I'll take a look at:
- how you could be monitoring your traffic
- why you should be monitoring traffic
- looking at what keywords are working and getting more from them
- learning from your succesful keywords

Come back soon!

No comments: