Wednesday 31 October 2007

Adsense Alternative

Update 14/12/07 - read the latest about my experience with JustGoMedia Here.


I was phoned a couple of days ago by a lady called Esther from JustGoMedia, asking if I would be interested in displaying their Yahoo adds on my Mortgages site. Quite badly timed since this site has just taken a nose dive in the search engine ratings, but aside from that I was interested in her offer.

What they offer is not contextual advertising so as long as it doesn't look the same as the Google adverts, they are happy for the same page to run both adverts. What their system does instead is to allow the web designer to specify a keyword.

There are restrictions in place to safeguard the system, which is good. But this does mean the potential for more accurate targeting. I agreed to give it a go.

I replaced the current Google adverts with the Yahoo ones yesterday. Results were a touch disappointing, but then Google has been poor the last week so it's not a fair time to compare. I found the click through rate seemed lower than Google is normally, but the earnings per click higher.

A lot of this could be that I'd unfairly only spent the time putting their advert onto the home page of the site and never bothered to track what happens with Google on that page. The Google CTR was also down yesterday.

Hopefully, with time I can get the site back up the search listings and then trial the schemes properly! Watch this space.

5 comments:

Le Frog said...

Hi there, me too was contacted by esther in october 07 who was offering the yahoo publisher ads which sounded at the time like a great alternative from adwords. I was told about interesting earning potential and spent a few weeks including the codes on various pages of my property and services website. Revenues were never as high as expected, especially since I was never told they would only pay for clicks generated in the UK... Earlier this week I logged into to the control panel to see ... NOTHING! I sent Esther an e-mail asking if there had been a problem with tracking the codes to be told "I have been dumped by Yahoo" because of traffic ... If had hadn't asked I would never found out! At the end of the day, they contacted me because they thought my website had some good quality content and potentially interesting traffic. I asked about what happens to the £115 or so due to me (mainly just to recoup the time and money spent) and was told I hadn't reached the threshold level of £125. Isn't that just a coincidence that just as I arrive to almost the level when they are going to pay me, yahoo decides to dump me ... I could go on and on ... There's too many strange things that make me believe I have been the victim of some sort of scam, especially since I now know that the Beta version on Yahoo publisher is NOT available for the UK. Have a very nasty taste in my mouth and obviously not much I can do about it, except warn everyone not to touch these guys from JustGoMedia. I thought some people out there ought to know as they have better things to do than waste time with their precious time and hard earned money. I am still fuming ... don't do it and let others know too ...

Keith said...

Thanks for this. I checked my own account and noticed that nothing has been appearing for a week. This was Esther Wakeman's reply:

I have just checked and it appears Yahoo have shut down your account due to lack of traffic. The adverts are defaulting to Miva, so there is no online reporting for this. If you want to use the adverts across the whole of your website I can go back to Yahoo and ask them to reconsider.

Please let me know

Kind regards
Esther

xec internet said...

Hmmm - now I'm worried because looks like something similar has happened to me. I'm investigating more fully and will post any updates here, especially whether I get my cash.

Stephen.

xec internet said...

Hmmm - now I'm worried because looks like something similar has happened to me. I'm investigating more fully and will post any updates here, especially whether I get my cash.

Stephen.

Keith said...

Stephen, do let us know what happened. There's plenty of traffic onto this blog searching for Esther Wakeman and JustGoMedia, so others may benefit from our experiences.