Thursday 4 October 2007

When Communication Goes Wrong

Recently I started taking on work through a new sales person. He's producing plenty of new work, but being the middle man between me and the customer does add it's complications.

At first the idea looked simple. He speaks to the customers, passes me their requirements, I build the site and he takes it back to them and talks about revisions.

On the whole this is great. But one site recently I produced an A and B sample for. Personally, I thought the A sample far inferior to the B sample, but he talked with the customer and they agreed A. I was concerned that it didn't look like it was trying to sell the product and it wasn't 100% great, but the customer is always right.

We produced the full site, they signed it off and we published it. Then about a month later, after I suspect the customer had shown their new site to a competitor who had also had a new site built, they came back to us annoyed that the site wasn't as commercial as their competitor's new site and showed us the site.

No doubt they had seen the link from the competitor's site to the web designer and seen that he charged fees starting at three times the price they had paid, but they were unhappy. We've offered to make changes to the site, for free, but getting material out of them for these changes is a long slow process.

The moral of the story - don't sign off work that you aren't happy with!

No comments: