Saturday 14 June 2008

Free Directories CAN Drive New Business

Getting your site listed in free directories, including top sites lists, can drive in new business to your site. Now it depends on what you are selling and how many sales you are after, but this can give your business a boost.

Particularly if your market is dealing with a topic where people browse around a lot, then getting listed in free directories and top site lists can be to your advantage. Whilst promoting a dating site a few years ago I listed it in a few of these such sites. I monitored it and noticed that most traffic came from a couple of very good "top sites" lists.

Now I was never going to retire on the income from this affiliate scheme - I gave up actively promoting the services in favour of other schemes because I found the conversion rate to be very low. (It was one of my early ventures when I was looking for any idea to work on!) But it did get plenty of taffic sent to the provider and even though I don't work on this any more and haven't done so for years, I'm still getting people joining up through my links from the top sites list!

For the small amount of effort in joining relevant lists and maybe uploading banners or links to your own site, you can possibly gain yourself a steady stream of visitors for a long time. It's free to sign up - so any sales you make are a wonderful profit.

No comments: