Wednesday 4 June 2008

How to find sites to swap links with

So how can you find useful sites to exchange with?

Well, in the first place, look for sites that are of interest and contact them and see if they will link exchange. Contact people you know or deal with, and see if they are interested.

After that then we're probably onto the mass link exchanges and hunting down other sites that will benefit you. There's a fine line here between spam and genuine work - unfortunately I consider most of the requests arriving in my inbox as spam.

The first step is simply to type the keywords you are using into Google and see what sites come up top. Then look to see what sites link to these. If I was working on Compare Mortgage Rates I would type just that into Google. The top few sites are usually big names and not into link exchanges, so I ignore them and drop down a few until I find a site in my league. Once I've found one I look to see if it has a links directory. If so, I request a link... Next I go through the sites listed on this site, looking for their links directories, asking them to exchange links with me.

If I want to be more effective then sometimes I limit myself to just looking at which links are showing in Google. So when you find the first site, use the links: search to see who is linking to them and then either look for links directories or email them. I have to say that the email trick is very poor and gets only a few responses, submitting to links directories is probably a much better use of time.

No comments: