Monday 9 June 2008

How to manage link exchanges

How do you manage your link exchanges? I think that if you are running link exchange for SEO then you really do need a tool. It should be able to allow other site owners to add their site to yours; it should allow you to add sites - before they add a link and it should run various checks that the sites supposed to be linking to you actually still are.

I've had various attempts at writing this for myself over the years, but they are never as efficient as an off-the-shelf links directory. You need tricks such as when another site owner requests a link exchange the software much check their site to ensure that the link exists where it says it does. And preferably it checks the robots.txt file and for rel=nofollow in the link.

No software is going to be perfect, but I always use linkmachine for my links directories. One customer was unable to install it onto their website as their hosts has unusual security considerations, but on the whole it is quick and easy to install. It does check that the link back already exists and helps you as the site owner to get more links in. And whenevery you want to, at the click of a button it goes off and checks every link pointing to you is still in place, checking the sites where it can't find the link in case the link has moved.

It's not perfect, but the free version is fine for my requirements. I like it and believe, especially in some cases, that it has really helped the positioning of some of my sites.

No comments: