Wednesday 25 June 2008

Rebuilding another site

I run several of my own site - compare mortgage rates and holiday cottages to name just 2 of many! These are all promoting various affiliate schemes and including Google Adsense.

The top 3 sites of my own all include a good element of my own input, but there's a golf site that when it first went live got loads of traffic and plenty of commissions - in fact the affiliate provider quickly moveed me up the reward levels. But for ages now it's not had a single commission.

Most of the site is built along the same lines as my divingg website, which currently does much better for traffic, adsense and commissions. What's the difference? Well the diving website started off and gets most of it's traffic not through the product information, but from reviews and information about diving in different locations and the dive centres there. It's got plenty of unique content.

But the golf site has none. It's just the products put together in different ways. A bit like the cottages site before that was rebuilt. So, although I've not actually finished rebuilding the cottages site - there's still a lot more information to add to the pages, I've decided that my next target is to be the golf website.

At the moment it's just a list of products for sale. I'll keep this, maybe even the same directory structure. But it's getting a new look along with new sections to review UK golf courses and whatever else I can think of linking to. Yes, most of it will be driven by what affiliate schemes I can find, but I'm learning the lesson that these sites don't work unless you put plenty of time and effort into creating something else - something that the public want to read.

No comments: